Pip not able to install on Fedora Silverblue

jupyter stuff installs fine.

but not ngsolve

pip install ngsolve -v
Using pip 24.1.2 from /var/home/simon/.local/lib/python3.13/site-packages/pip (python 3.13)
Defaulting to user installation because normal site-packages is not writeable
ERROR: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement ngsolve (from versions: none)
ERROR: No matching distribution found for ngsolve

same issue here Installation & Troubleshooting Installation problem in fedora 39

It’s been 2 months since this question so probably not useful, but in case someone in the future experiences:

I had the same issue, and it turns out the python version on my computer is the culprit I upgraded from 3.7 to 3.12, and then had to do “python -m pip install ngsolve

thanks, maybe i should of listed what i tried…

got jupyter in 10s, gave up after 2hrs with ngsolve.

i had 3.12 but tried…

• going back python versions
  • installing from a ‘whl’ file and playing with the permissions.
  • tried many flatpak runtimes
  • opening container permissions.
  • versions of pip
  • versions of ngsolve

(these were from googling what worked in other software with this error reported. which appears to be too non-specific to be much use.)

guess a VM with Ubuntu would work, but the hassle was too much at the time.

BTW i had a pretty hard time, years ago, with getting ngsolve running under linux mint, but that time i did eventually get it to work. this woule be way before the pip installation.

Sorry, that sounds like you’ve tried almost everything. I am on MacOS platform. After upgrading my python (I essentially have 2 versions 1 though condo, other direct install), standard pip install ngsolve didn’t work, I still had to python -m pip... It seems like there is a difference – maybe that difference is related to multiple python’s on my end, or maybe there is something different.

It is a shame that it took that much effort just to be able to try (and in my case as a hobby).

what do you get from

python -m pip install --verbose ngsolve 

pip install --verbose ngsolve
Using pip 24.2 from /var/home/simon/.local/lib/python3.13/site-packages/pip (python 3.13)
ERROR: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement ngsolve (from versions: none)

The output tells there is no distribution for Python 3.13 available. Py 3.13 is not yet released, so we don’t provide packages by now.

Try again with Python 3.12

Here you see which binary packages are provided for the latest release:

thanks for the help…

i tried installing older pythons and using runtimes with older pythons in, here is the current verbose output from one of them.
(BTW i have also tried downloading and installing from the ‘binary’, using the one for linux and the version of python i was on.)
( i also tried specifying the version of ngsolve.)

[📦 org.freedesktop.Platform downloads]$ python -m pip install --verbose ngsolve 
Using pip 24.0 from /var/data/python/lib/python3.11/site-packages/pip (python 3.11)
WARNING: Retrying (Retry(total=4, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'NewConnectionError('<pip._vendor.urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0x7fca0715a350>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -3] Temporary failure in name resolution')': /simple/ngsolve/
WARNING: Retrying (Retry(total=3, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'NewConnectionError('<pip._vendor.urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0x7fca0572b710>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -3] Temporary failure in name resolution')': /simple/ngsolve/
WARNING: Retrying (Retry(total=2, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'NewConnectionError('<pip._vendor.urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0x7fca0572bf50>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -3] Temporary failure in name resolution')': /simple/ngsolve/
WARNING: Retrying (Retry(total=1, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'NewConnectionError('<pip._vendor.urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0x7fca05734b10>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -3] Temporary failure in name resolution')': /simple/ngsolve/
WARNING: Retrying (Retry(total=0, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'NewConnectionError('<pip._vendor.urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0x7fca05735550>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -3] Temporary failure in name resolution')': /simple/ngsolve/

[notice] A new release of pip is available: 24.0 -> 24.2
[notice] To update, run: python -m pip install --upgrade pip

can you install other packages (like numpy) for python3.11 ?

looks like the same problem as here:

ok, got it, installing now. (yes numpty didn’t work either)

the same error (without verbose) in the desktop, as the too high a version of python natively, was actually just no NETWORK ACCESS in the container.
pip installed, in the desktop, because that was from a cached package in the desktop’s python install.

so…

flatpak run --share=network --filesystem=host org.freedesktop.Platform
[📦 org.freedesktop.Platform downloads]$ python -m ensurepip --upgrade
[📦 org.freedesktop.Platform downloads]$ python -m pip install --upgrade ngsolve

unfortunately didn’t, quite, install.

error says ran out of disk space (when well above 10GB) so investigating, assuming container limit or something.

Downloading mkl-2024.2.1-py2.py3-none-manylinux1_x86_64.whl (195.3 MB)
   ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━╸━━━━ 174.7/195.3 MB 518.2 kB/s eta 0:00:40
ERROR: Exception:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/var/data/python/lib/python3.11/site-packages/pip/_vendor/urllib3/response.py", line 438, in _error_catcher
    yield
  File "/var/data/python/lib/python3.11/site-packages/pip/_vendor/urllib3/response.py", line 561, in read
    data = self._fp_read(amt) if not fp_closed else b""
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/var/data/python/lib/python3.11/site-packages/pip/_vendor/urllib3/response.py", line 527, in _fp_read
    return self._fp.read(amt) if amt is not None else self._fp.read()
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/var/data/python/lib/python3.11/site-packages/pip/_vendor/cachecontrol/filewrapper.py", line 102, in read
    self.__buf.write(data)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.11/tempfile.py", line 500, in func_wrapper
    return func(*args, **kwargs)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
OSError: [Errno 28] No space left on device

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/var/data/python/lib/python3.11/site-packages/pip/_internal/cli/base_command.py", line 180, in exc_logging_wrapper
    status = run_func(*args)
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/var/data/python/lib/python3.11/site-packages/pip/_internal/cli/req_command.py", line 245, in wrapper
    return func(self, options, args)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/var/data/python/lib/python3.11/site-packages/pip/_internal/commands/install.py", line 377, in run
    requirement_set = resolver.resolve(
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/var/data/python/lib/python3.11/site-packages/pip/_internal/resolution/resolvelib/resolver.py", line 179, in resolve
    self.factory.preparer.prepare_linked_requirements_more(reqs)
  File "/var/data/python/lib/python3.11/site-packages/pip/_internal/operations/prepare.py", line 552, in prepare_linked_requirements_more
    self._complete_partial_requirements(
  File "/var/data/python/lib/python3.11/site-packages/pip/_internal/operations/prepare.py", line 467, in _complete_partial_requirements
    for link, (filepath, _) in batch_download:
  File "/var/data/python/lib/python3.11/site-packages/pip/_internal/network/download.py", line 183, in __call__
    for chunk in chunks:
  File "/var/data/python/lib/python3.11/site-packages/pip/_internal/cli/progress_bars.py", line 53, in _rich_progress_bar
    for chunk in iterable:
  File "/var/data/python/lib/python3.11/site-packages/pip/_internal/network/utils.py", line 63, in response_chunks
    for chunk in response.raw.stream(
  File "/var/data/python/lib/python3.11/site-packages/pip/_vendor/urllib3/response.py", line 622, in stream
    data = self.read(amt=amt, decode_content=decode_content)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/var/data/python/lib/python3.11/site-packages/pip/_vendor/urllib3/response.py", line 560, in read
    with self._error_catcher():
  File "/usr/lib/python3.11/contextlib.py", line 158, in __exit__
    self.gen.throw(typ, value, traceback)
  File "/var/data/python/lib/python3.11/site-packages/pip/_vendor/urllib3/response.py", line 455, in _error_catcher
    raise ProtocolError("Connection broken: %r" % e, e)
pip._vendor.urllib3.exceptions.ProtocolError: ("Connection broken: OSError(28, 'No space left on device')", OSError(28, 'No space left on device'))

fixed, see new post
again thanks for the help